HEBI Kit Router Reconfiguration Basic Info

Hexapods, Balancing Robots, Mobile Bases, anything else
curtis_layton
HEBI Official

HEBI Kit Router Reconfiguration Basic Info

Post by curtis_layton » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:20 am

You are more than welcome to reconfigure the Mikrotik routers that we use in our kits to your needs if you feel comfortable doing so. However, it is hard to remotely support and reconfigure routers for customers so we generally don't set them up in custom configurations - we let our customers set them up or configure them to suit their needs. This will not void your hardware warranty in any way but there is always a chance that you could get the router stuck in a state where it is hard to reconfigure.

In most of our kits, there is a wired router/switch that is in a default configuration where it acts as a DHCP server and a separate access point.

For our actuator system to function all you need is for the actuators and control computer to be on the same subnet with an active DHCP server. Other than that you can change around the configuration to suit your needs. You can even forgo the DHCP server if you set static IPs for the actuators but you will need a DHCP server initially to set them up.

If you log into the router (10.10.1.1) you can check out the IP->DHCP Server->Leases menu to get the IP of the access point. The user name for both is admin and the password should be the same as the one provided with the computer. You can use a web browser to reconfigure but I would recommend using Mikrotik's Winbox tool - it is great. You can download it here: https://mikrotik.com/download.

If anyone has any useful configurations that they have come up with, feel free to post them here. I will do my best to answer your questions but I am by no means a network wizard. If you have more advanced needs, please take a look at at Mikrotik's documentation: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:TOC.

Cheers,

- Curtis