Hi there, I am Roy, from the Thomas More University of Applied Sciences Belgium.

Learn about the story of HEBI Robotics and the people who make it all happen
RoySevit

Hi there, I am Roy, from the Thomas More University of Applied Sciences Belgium.

Post by RoySevit » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi there,

My name is Roy, I am a researcher at MOBILAB&Care a research group at the Thomas More University of Applied sciences in Belgium. We are using a Hebi X8-9 to power a prototype version of an Ankle-Foot Orthosis (AFO) that will give children with Cerebral Palsy (CP) the ankle support they need during impact with the ground, and it will provide extra power during push-off.

Human gait, even for children, is however a highly dynamic task where both high accelerations and torques are necessary. Our simulations (based on a motor selection criterion developed by Van De Straete et al.) showed that we can provide 40% assistance (for a 30kg child) when the children have stride time of 2 seconds. That is indeed rather slow, but not uncommon in children with CP. The high gearbox ratio in the x8-9 limits the available torque on the output severely at the higher accelerations< For children with a higher assistance need, or a faster stride time, we had to look at other actuators.

This gave us the possibility to compare ecosystems and support. We could not be happier with Hebi's software, API's and support team. All the available resources are really a joy to use! Thank you Hebi team for making our lives so much easier!

Kind regards,

Roy
florian_enner
HEBI Official

Re: Hi there, I am Roy, from the Thomas More University of Applied Sciences Belgium.

Post by florian_enner » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:58 am

Thank you for letting us know about your project and sending images
HEBI Dynamic V3_TOP_RightView.png
HEBI Dynamic V3_TOP_RightView.png (189.08 KiB) Viewed 5720 times
HEBI Dynamic V3.png
HEBI Dynamic V3.png (229.18 KiB) Viewed 5720 times