Hello from the University of Texas Nuclear Robotics Group!

Learn about the story of HEBI Robotics and the people who make it all happen
MarkJennings

Hello from the University of Texas Nuclear Robotics Group!

Post by MarkJennings » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Hey there!

My name is Mark Jennings - I'm a Master's student at UT Austin. I actually research primarily with a different robot arm, but I am involved with a HEBI arm integration on the side right now. We have a custom 6DoF arm built in 2018 or so by a different student, Adam Pettinger. (He got his Master's and is now pursuing a PhD in the same lab!)

Our arm, affectionately name Herbie, was previously intended for use on an inspection bot in an exhaust tunnel for a nuclear facility. It was programmed to do inspections, move obstacles, and collect samples. However, that project is on hold and it is not yet radioactive :lol:

So I am upgrading the robot with the new HEBI ROS API, which I have found to be much more convenient than our previous efforts. We intend to put this robot on an oil & gas inspection robot so that the camera can get a better view of various gauges and readouts.

When I am not building robots, I like to run, hike/camp/backpack, and play disc golf. If there is not a global pandemic, I also like to play board games and ultimate frisbee.

See y'all around!