Using R-Series Underwater

X-Series and R-Series Actuators
hebi_newbie

Using R-Series Underwater

Post by hebi_newbie » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:52 pm

Have you done any testing with your R-Series below the IP-67 rating of 1 meter? I would be interested in using this actuator at depths up to about twenty feet.
dave_rollinson
HEBI Official

Re: Using R-Series Underwater

Post by dave_rollinson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 pm

Deeper operation is possible with some additional precautions, including keeping the actuators at positive internal pressure.

We have tested the actuators to the equivalent of 10 meters depth for short periods (<30 minutes), but we cannot guarantee the actuator running continuously in a submerged without additional protections, like keeping the actuators at sufficient positive internal pressure. Each actuator has an internal pressure sensor that gets reported in the actuator feedback, making it possible to be sure of the integrity of the actuator seals while running.
Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:13 pm

Suppose I have an R-module that I'd like to pressurize internally for use at greater depths or just to check whether I sealed it up properly. I can see in the documentation that this can be done, but what parts would you recommend I use to accomplish this most efficiently? (For example, how did you put together your pressurization adapter or end effector pressure feed that's shown in the docs?)
willig
HEBI Official

Post by willig » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:33 pm

Hey Nate,

Thanks for the question.

The easiest option would be to use the unused cord grip in the actuator and directly pass your air in thru there like in this image:
seal1.png
seal1.png (208.56 KiB) Viewed 15770 times
except just directly connect your valve to the tube, no need for the t-junction. I have inserts for the cord grips that I can give you to fit (I believe) 1/4" tubing. Just send me an email (Willig@hebirobotics.com)

Then you will need to use 1.5mm OD SOLID CORE WIRE (like these: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 05/2195459 | https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 05/2195471) into the other cord grip and you don't need to worry about the "pressurization adapter" shown on the docs website.

The reason you'll need to use the solid core wire is that the standard stranded wire we sell with the R-Series actuators allows a enough air to leak through it when the cord grip is closed such that actuators that are daisy chained together will, over time, evenly distribute their internal air pressure.

In the situation where, you have a chain of actuators that you want to pressurize all of them, use the standard electrical wire we supply between the actuators and then use the solid core wire coming out of your first actuator to prevent leaking. Then you can use the open port at your end-effector actuator to pressurize the system (like in the image below):
seal3.jpg
seal3.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 15770 times
*** NOTE: The internal pressure sensor on the R-Series actuator has the following stats -
seal2.png
seal2.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 15770 times
Most of this is found here for future reference: https://docs.hebi.us/hardware.html#r-series-sealing